Nomad Plaid Throw
Created by one artisan using a four-pedal loom, this densely soft 100% yak khullu throw can be used as a blanket or worn as an oversized shawl. It features fringing along each of its four sides and an eight-colour plaid design.
The khullu used to make this throw is a mix of two natural base colours, white and grey.
Size: 140 × 220 cm
Weight: Medium, 900 g
Finishing: 4 sided fringe. 7cm
- Composition: 100% yak khullu
- Base colour: Natural Yak White and Natural Yak Grey Base- Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, dry clean or machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your blanket in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier on the Tibetan Plateau using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives.
- Base colour: -Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This throw was made using the khullu of 12 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Technique: Hand Woven
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 14 artisans handmade this blanket at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 12 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.