Nomad Classic Scarf (Natural White Base)
The very first piece to be created at Norlha Atelier, the Nomad Classic is the quintessential yak khullu scarf. With a 100% yak wool warp and weft, its slightly rugged, densely soft weave is created by one artisan using a four-pedal loom. A favourite among Ritoma’s local nomads, who wear these scarves year-round, the Classic is truly representative of life on the plateau.
The khullu used to make this scarf is an exceptionally rare fibre, as only one in every thousand yak possesses a white coat.
Size: 70 × 190 cm
Weight: 410 g
Finishing: 2 cm fringe
- Composition: 100% yak khullu
- Base colour: Natural Yak White Base- Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, dry clean or machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your scarf in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier on the Tibetan Plateau using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives.
- Base colour: Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This scarf was made using the khullu of 5 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 14 artisans handmade this scarf at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 10 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.