Handspun Nostalgia Blanket
This 100% yak khullu blanket is the heaviest weave produced at Norlha Atelier. Its handspun weft creates a densely textured, wave-like pattern with a ruggedly soft touch. It takes a Norlha artisan five days to spin enough thread for a single blanket. Its handspun threads are fringed along its length, while a line of contrasting thread runs along its top and bottom edges.
100% yak khullu
Size: 140 × 220 cm
Weight: Heavy, 2030g
Finishing: 4cm fringe on both sides
- Composition: 100% Yak Khullu
- Base colour: Natural White Base- Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your blanket in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives.
- Base colour: Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This blanket was made using the khullu of 48 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Technique: Handspun & Handwoven
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 15 artisans handmade this blanket at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 13 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.