Chic River Blanket
This delicately light textured yak khullu and silk-blend blanket is hand woven on a four pedal loom. It is comprised of two lengths of fabric which are handstitched together to give the blanket its width. Incredibly durable and resistant to pilling, this combination of yak wool and silk offers strength and exceptional softness.
70% yak khullu, 30% silk
- Size: 140 × 220 cm
- Weight: Light, 320g
- Finishing: Matted fringe of 2cm in the upper and lower sides
- Composition: 70% yak khullu, 30% silk
- Base colour: Natural Yak White and Natural Yak Grey Base
- Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your blanket in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier on the Tibetan Plateau using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives and responsibly sourced silk from Zhejiang
- Base colour: Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This blanket was made using the khullu of 3 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Technique: Handwoven
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 14 artisans handmade this blanket at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 12 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.