Fringed Poncho (Unisex)
A fringed poncho in a hand-woven yak khullu and silk-blend. It features a button fastening at the shoulder and dropped armholes for easy layering. Constructed from three large panels of fabric, the poncho’s soft swathes of fabric offer ample protection from the elements.
The khullu used to make this poncho is a rare fibre, as only one in every hundred yak possesses a grey coat.
- Composition: 85% yak khullu, 15% silk
- Base colour: Natural Yak Grey Base- Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, dry clean or machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your scarf in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier on the Tibetan Plateau using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives and responsibly sourced silk from Zhejiang.
- Base colour: Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This poncho was made using the khullu of 10 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Technique: Handwoven and Hand sewn
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 17 artisans handmade this scarf at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 15 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.