Handspun Nostalgia Scarf
This unique scarf is made from a dense, richly textured pure yak khullu weave. Its distinctive design features a hand-spun weft with raised ribs of hand-twisted khullu in contrasting shades and thick fringing along its sides. It stands high on the neck and can be worn knotted or open.
- Size: 20 x 180 cm
- Weight:350 g
- Finishing: 5cm side fringes
Composition & care
- Composition: 100% yak khullu
- Base colour: Natural Dark Brown Base
- Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, dry clean or machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your scarf in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives
- Base colour: Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This scarf was made using the khullu of 5 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 14 artisans handmade this scarf at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 12 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.
THE MAKING OF
HOW TO WEAR IT YOU MIGHT LIKE RECENTLY VIEWED MORE IN THIS MATERIAL