Handspun Valley Throw
This cosy throw is made from 100% yak khullu. Its weft is handspun by a single artisan over the course of four days, which gives it a softly rugged, uneven texture. Its straw-coloured warp creates a subtle contrast with its natural white weft. It is finished with cropped, raw fringing.
100% yak khullu
Size: 110 x 220 cm
Weight: Medium, 970g
Finishing: 1cm raw fringe
- Composition: 100% Yak Khullu
- Base colour: Natural Yak White Base- Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your blanket in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives.
- Base colour: Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This blanket was made using the khullu of 13 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Technique: Handspun & Handwoven
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 15 artisans handmade this blanket at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 13 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.