Mud Wall Scarf
This scarf is made from a fine yak khullu and silk blend. It features irregular horizontal embroidered bands of twisted brown khullu, which carry into the loose khullu threads that are attached by hand along the selvedge. Its striped design requires immense precision and focus to achieve. It is finished with knotted fringing at both ends.
WORDS FROM THE WEAVER
‘All these years of weaving, I felt that achieving the perfect symmetry and balance was the biggest challenge. Who would have known that creating irregularity demands an even higher level of perfection? This scarf is the series of zigzagged paths that life often takes us on, the challenge and the beauty in the unpredictable.’ – Wandi Kyi
Size: 60 x 170 cm
Finishing: 5cm knotted fringe & 25cm twisted thread knotted at the end
- Composition: 70% Yak Khullu, 30% Silk
- Base colour: Natural Grey Base - Care: Use a mild detergent or regular shampoo and carefully hand-wash by submerging in cold water for 10–15 minutes. Alternatively, dry clean or machine wash using the cold, delicate setting. Dry flat or on a clothesline away from direct sunlight; do not wring dry or tumble dry. To keep the fibre in optimal condition, gently steam iron. During the warmer months, clean and store your scarf in a ziplock bag, preferably with moth repellent.
- Provenance: Handwoven at Norlha Atelier using yak khullu sourced from local nomad cooperatives
- Base colour: Yaks typically have a dark brown coat, but they can also be found in grey and, very rarely, in golden brown and white. Our artisans work with all four yak wool shades, which are either left in their natural state, combined to create different tones, or dyed.
- Yak khullu: This scarf was made using the khullu of 1 yak. Khullu is the ultra-fine, downy undercoat that keeps yak insulated during harsh Tibetan winters. Each summer, the yak naturally shed this down, which is then carefully collected by hand.
- Artisans & Processes: A team of 12 artisans handmade this scarf at Norlha Atelier. During its production, it went through 14 highly specialised processes.
- Shipping: All orders are packed with care and shipped from our atelier on the Tibetan Plateau.